You might have noticed that I’ve mentioned pH Balanced a few times. pH Balance stands for potential of Hydrogen and depending on how much hydrogen a substance has will determine how acidic or alkaline it is. All substances that contain water has a pH; skin, hair, lotion soap, etc. and to measure how acidic or alkaline a particular substance is, a scale is used.
The pH Scale reads from 1-14. 1 – 6 is acidic, 7 is neutral and 8-14 is alkaline.
So what does that mean for us? Well, healthy hair and skin has a protective layers called the acid mantle and has a pH between 4.5-5.5. Using products that are are out of that range can disrupt that protective layer and cause major problems.
Dangers to Hair/Scalp
- Leaves cuticle too open or constricted – moisture loss/lack of moisture
- Knots and tangles
- Rough hair strands – can lead to breakage and dull hair
- Scalp irritation – dandruff
Dangers to Skin
- Weakens the skins protective layer
- Use pH Balanced products (especially the last product used)
- Test your products with pH Testing Strips
- Make your products – Aloe Vera Gel and Apple Cider Vinegar have a pH of around 4. They are great natural and affordable ingredients to mix with clays and baking soda to balance out pH levels.
That was a lot! Please know that there are always exceptions to the rule. If your regimen is working by no means do I suggest you start throwing things away. If things could be better give this a shot. I purchased my pH testing strips from Amazon and I was amazed at my results.